Masks...

"I never knew you were like this", is a comment I often hear - from those who have known me for some time- after reading my blog.  At first I was surprised, but after a time I realised that they may be right.

When I was thinking about it, the movie "The Mask" came to mind.  Like the main character in the movie, Stanley played by Jim Carrie who had a mask that transformed him both physically and psychologically, we to have masks that transform us.

I have discovered that I used to own a whole hoard of masks, one for every occasion.  Wearing a mask allowed me to belong and provided the context when dealing with people and situations, but most of all it protected the core of my being from being exposed.  One disadvantage though I must admit, is like a real mask, where the view of the world is limited, this mask had the same effect with one little twist.  My perception of the world was shaped by the mask that I was wearing.

I discovered that there were at least four masks that were dominant in my life, religious, parent, husband and work colleague.  And the real beauty of it was that these masks could be switched in an instant, when the situation demanded it.  And the person that shone through was not even close to the being that was me.  At the time this seemed all so natural to me and I believed that I was the "mask" and my masks defined who i was.

The real problem with masks though is that like a facade, that conceals what is below, a mask conceals the true being below.  It allows one to live multiple lives, and because none of them are true, leave one disappointed and dissatisfied.  There is an emptiness that exists in the soul, and in my opinion, the reason why most are searching for a purpose in life.  If we live the life of the mask, how can we ever fulfill the true purpose of our being.

By discarding the mask you discover the true being hidden below.  Actions gain synergy and you behave consistently no matter where you are or what the situation is.  People come to see the real you and you see the world as it is because the tainted view of the mask has been removed.  You feel fulfilled and no need to search for meaning. And change, when it comes, changes your core and not the shape of the mask without touching the core.

In the last few months I have been discarding my masks discovering the unique person that I am and I am loving it.  Are you prepared to remove your masks? :-)

Comments

  1. Sometimes the thought of exposing the beings we really are is too scary. So the mask remains.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe ;-)but maybe there is no mask?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose