Treasure of the Northern Cape...

Being on the Highveld I have heard my share of "Pofadder" jokes.  Its remoteness, its size in both area and population contribute to it being the subject of many a jest.  For me though, it has a different meaning.

I remember the first time I drove to the Northern Cape, one December, like it was yesterday.  Starting the journey from Johannesburg, Gauteng, with its multitudes crammed it seems into every corner, through to Potchefstroom and Vryburg  in the North West province, with its wide spaces and grain farms stretching for miles and miles. Lush and green.  Leaving this to enter the semi desert world on the way to Upington and Pofadder in the Northern Cape.

You would expect, that the landscape would gradually change, in fauna and flora, so that the semi desert would fade into existence.  However the contrast is much more stark, and the change from from lush green, to semi desert occurs in a few miles.  And a beauty which defies all reason, unfolds before your eyes.

The grasses, dry, in various tones of golden brown and the green of short succulents paint the rich golden brown soil into pictures that tug at some deep primal knowledge in your soul.  Sheep, in their stark white coats, speckle the canvas in deliberate patterns adding to the wonder of the scene.  In spite of its beauty, this is a harsh land! The people who eke out an existence here, have had to endure hardship that is beyond the imagination of those, like me, who come from a city where everything is readily available.      

Close to Pofadder, tucked away behind a stark stone mountain, about 30 odd kilometers from the paved road, at the end of a strip of corrugated dirt road is a house.  Seemingly out of place,  it is accompanied by a cottage and large corrugated iron shed.  Next to the house, demarcated in barbed wire, a holding pan for sheep.  In the distance, just barely visible to the naked eye, someone else who has decided to make this their home.

In the house, a family who I came to know and love.  Who opened their doors and their hearts to me. Who accepted me for who I am and not once, not even for an instance, made me feel out of place. Who showered me with love and affection. Who went out of their way to make me comfortable and taking care of my needs, so that even here, in this harsh beautiful landscape, far from any city conveniences, I felt at home.

True people, beautiful people, salt of the earth and a debt with them I have no hope of repaying. The true treasure and beauty of this beautiful harsh landscape, and I found them!

Comments

  1. i am almost hesitant to write a comment and i am filled with the beauty of the words and the emotions that come in to play. you have put into words what others experience on seeing the true maginifence of Creation and how much we are loved that this beauty of man and nature was created for us.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose