Sunset

As I sat by my window watching the sun dip below the rooftops, turning the sky into the deep orange of sunset, I contemplated the ending of another year.  I know that this is the sixth day of the new year but, until today, I have not had the time to contemplate the passing of 2013.

As we get older time seems to pass us by faster like a sprinter picking up speed to the finish.  I think that as we get older we realise more and more that the most precious thing in life is time and we are most concerned that we unable to utilise our time to its fullest.

Having been alone, for the last three years, has also made me realise how important it is to have the right partner to share time with, something I did not contemplate when I first got married, and something I thought I had taped when I got married for the second time.  But it seems that I had missed the boat on both occasions.

I realised that, as a result of this I have missed, some of the most memorable events that a parent can be party too with my children.  And lately the relocation of my youngest son to the fairest Cape has not helped either.  The upside is that it forces me to take time out of work to visit the young lad on occasion.

Above all I have a certain restlessness, which seems to be more and more difficult to satisfy.  There are so many things that I wanted to do and learn and it seems as if time is running out on me.  A large part of this is because I have never actually set down and planned anything.

I also believe that I need to cultivate a broader range of interests outside of work and this could be a means of social interaction or  learning a new skill which will hone my mental abilities and expand my sphere of experience and, hopefully, help me stay young at heart.

Those things that I do occasionally, because they give me such joy, I need to do more frequently so that I can become more proficient at them.  Not only will it increase my skill levels at them but it will also enhance experience of life.

Spirituality has become an important part of my life and I believe that I need to do more to enhance it and in so doing enhance the quality of my life as a whole.  It also allows one to transcend the physical and allow you to connect with creation and foster a deeper sense of appreciation and gratitude for the life that you have.

You may be surprised that my contemplation had very little to do with the events of 2013, but it was rather a bit of introspection of looking within myself and identifying things that would make me a better person, or at least enhance my life going forward.   I also realise that the only way I can really effect change is to actually find the time to contemplate my life on a daily basis.

These are just some of the things that crossed my mind during that time at my window while the sun was setting and, oh yes not to mention, the large 3d 4K TV with a curved screen that is being launched..... ;-)
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose