The Rose

Is it not strange how sometimes you hear and old familiar song and decide to actually listen to it and you realise what a fantastic song it is?  Today it happened to me.  I was on my way to Hyde Park, the rain splattering on the windscreen before being wiped away by the windscreen wipers when this song burst forth from the radio.  I turned the volume up because it sounded familiar and for the first time i listened to the song.  The lyrics blew me away and I rushed over to the shopping center and rummaging through the music DVDs found a copy of the song.  I have been listening to it non stop since then.  The song, The Rose, sung by Bette Midler and written by Amanda McBroom.

The Rose

Some say love, it is a river
That drowns the tender reed
Some say love, it is a razor
That leaves your soul to bleed
Some say love, it is a hunger
an endless aching need
I say love, it is a flower
And you, its only seed

It's the heart, afraid of breaking
That never learns to dance
It's the dream, afraid of waking
That never takes the chance
It's the one who won't be taken
Who cannot seem to give

And the soul, afraid of dying
That never learns to live

When the night has been too lonely
And the road has been too long
And you think that love is only for the lucky and the strong

Just remember in the winter
Far beneath the bitter snow
Lies the seed
That with the sun's love, in the spring
Becomes the ROSE
                                                                   Amanda McBroom

My prayer for all is that the sun comes soon and with it the ROSE :-)

Comments

  1. a stunning song and lyrics and the only artist able to perform it brilliantly is the divine Miss M.. Then again I can imagine Mariah Carey singing it..the most beautiful part for me is
    'It's the heart, afraid of breaking
    That never, learns to dance'

    The sun is out there.. but our hearts need to dance first ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, I can't read the words without hearing the tune in my head, someone once wrote the words out for me on a card (what feels like a lifetime ago), very special song, glad it moved you. About your last line, ask and expect good things and be prepared to get them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Music is incredible how it sings to our hearts and says what we feel and never seem to able to. Don't know too many of the current lot of singers out there that can do that.

    This song always makes me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we must have been listening the the radio at the same time. I have always loved the song and the story of how it came into existence. However the lyrics never stop being breathtaking. I would love to see the DVD - I have downloaded a version from Youtube ages ago.

    I have a few songs on my list which are lyrics I would have loved to lay claim to. Listen to Unwell by Matchbox (now is it 20 or 21?). This is my anthem. Listen carefully and you may understand one relative a bit better.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg