What's in a Movie

If there is one movie that stands out for me amongst the multitude of movies that I have watched in my lifetime it has got to be "Jerry MaGuire". Yes I know, I know, I know what you thinking how could I be into a chick flick? The "you got me before you said hello" bit.  But I think its much more clever, it is actually a guy movie disguised as a chick flick.  How else would the director have got the chicks into the movie with the guys?  How do I know it's a guy movie? Ask any guy what he remembers of the movie, yes you got it "SHOW ME THE MONEY", now if I have ever heard a "guy" line, this is it.  To be honest this is just my excuse.  You see I quite enjoy the so called "chick flick", although I do have my limits. I definitely draw the line at stuff like "Sex in the City".

But I have to say one of the best movies I have ever seen, and I have seen it about 20 times, has got to be the Godfather. It is the ultimate guy movie.  Especially at the end when they kiss Al Pacino's hand and you know that he has now taken over from his late father. Or how about "The Good, The Bad and The Ugly" good old spaghetti western that  made Mr Eastwood famous. Now there is a movie, never a stray shot fired, every one hits the mark. And who can forget the last scene in the movie where the hero, the unnamed gun slinger, faces off with three others in a draw.  And for five minutes we wait while the music builds up and the camera dramatically switches between the characters until finally they draw their weapons, but the gun slinger is faster than all of them, and you guessed it he shoots them all and not much work for the undertaker cause it hall happens in a grave yard.

And then there are the war movies "Saving Private Ryan", "Hurt Locker", "Black Hawk Down" and of course the war movie that none has managed to beat, "Apocalypse Now" the ultimate war movie.  A movie of the Vietnam War and the famous "I love the smell of napalm in the morning! It smells like victory".  And of course who can forget Mr Brando in his  role of insane General, not far from the truth I may add,  that Mad Magazine termed "Mr Clean", because his head was clean shaven of course.

Bond movies, I have seen every one of them and for all intents and purposes there was only one Bond, Mr Connery with Daniel Craig a favourite second and Pierce Brosnon third. And Q, who can forget Q.

And now how about "Star Wars" and even better the last two "Star Trek" movies which I though were AWESOME! They breathed new life into the characters and with modern cinema techniques raised the bar in terms of the effects and story line.  "Minority Report" is not bad either.

But the ultimate in scifi movies has to be "Blade Runner", based on the Philip K Dick novel "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep", it is outstanding with Harison Ford taking the lead as Dekker the agent who looks for and eliminates replicants.  And to find replicants they undergo a Turing Test to determine if they are human.  Not very helpful these days as the first computer has now passed the Turing Test.

But even after all that it is "SHOW ME THE MONEY" that stands out ;-)


Comments

  1. Nice post, It's actually Colonel Kurtz, not General... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152594100498548&set=gm.758290550896425&type=1&permPage=1

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...everybody loves raymond... Dont forget the good old sitcom, gone out of fashion these days...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose