Confessions of a Tech Junkie

I am passionate about gadgets, and I cannot resist a gadget especially if it comes in the form of a tool that claims it will make the job easier.

Take the hook tying tool I bought a while ago. I had on many occasions impaled my fingers while tying a hook to the end of my fishing line.  So fish tying gadget here I come.  I get home, tear open the packaging and dive into the instructions.  In their wisdom, they have only included a diagram to show how to use the tool.   I try following the diagram and no matter how hard I try I cannot work out how they have managed to loop the line over the tool and hook and cannot locate the hole through which I need to thread the end of the line to complete the knot.  YouTube to the rescue! 

YouTube, where you can find videos on every subject under the sun, well almost.  I locate the only video featuring my hook tying tool and select it for viewing.   Instead of showing how to use the tool, the video shows every page of the instruction manual while explaining in excruciating detail what the diagram is showing in some foreign language which I have not had the privilege of learning.   At some unconscious level, I took a vow to make an effort to learn this obscure language, once I found out what it is, so I can learn how to use my hook tying tool.  I place it in my fishing box and label it appropriately with the words "hook tying gadget, pending translation".

Or take the time when I purchased an airbrush to get that professional finish.  I was surprised at how over-engineered these little devices are!  After taking the airbrush apart for cleaning and later putting it back together, I noticed that I had some "extra" parts available.  I say extra because these missing parts do not seem to have an impact on the results that I have achieved with the airbrush, which I must admit, falls short from the "professional" finish that it promises.  Like all the other extra parts that I have discovered in various over-engineered pieces of equipment that I have had the pleasure of reassembling, I placed the parts into a little bag with the appropriate label, "Airbrush Extras", and placed them in my special "Extras" container.  I have no doubt that over time I would discover exactly what these parts were engineered to do. I must admit though that so far I have had to replace most of the items before I have had the opportunity to discover the secret of their "extras".

This need to acquire new gadgets and the desire to discover exactly how they work by dismantling and reassembling them is the curse of this Tech Junkie. 

Now if I can only find some blogging tools......

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose