The Watch

"How much for the watch?", I ask looking at the watches spread across the table.  All the brand names are there, Rolex to Tag and everything in between.
"Number one copy", mutters the store owner.
"How much?", I enquire.
"Don't worry I will give you good price", he replies.
My friend and I rummage through the watches being laid out on the table.  We pick out a few and settle on three.  The look in my friends eye tells all, he has taken a liking to one of the three.
"How much for these?", I ask pointing to the selected watches.
"5000", the store owner replies.
"Too much", I start walking away. My friend reluctantly turns to follow.
"Wait, 4500", the store owner calls.
"Too much", I counter.
"Look, it has moon phases, second hand and date", picking up the watch my friend has taken a liking too.
"How much do you want to pay?", he says.
"2000", I counter.
He grabs a calculator from the bottom of shelf of his stall and begins what looks like, by the way his fingers fly across the keyboard, a calculation of mammoth proportions.
"4000", he retorts showing us the screen.
I take the calculator from his hands, fingers fly across the keyboard, not quite adapt as the store owner, my own mammoth calculation. A two and a five followed by two zeros.
"2500", I hold up the screen.
"3800, last price"
"Too expensive", I start turning.
"3500", my friend takes out his wallet, he has us.
We hand over the cash while he packs the watches into a little pouch.
"I will wear mine", says my friend slipping off his trusty Seiko and slipping it into his pocket.
The time and date is set and we are once again shown the wonders of the moon phase dial. My friend straps the watch to his wrist and we continue our walk along the stall lined sidewalk taking in the smells and sounds as stall owners try to entice us to take a look at their wares. An hour later my friend turns to me.
"What time do you have?"
"9 o clock"
"I have 8:50, my watch has lost 10 minutes! Wait the second hand is not moving!"
"Try moving your hand"
"There it goes again!"
"Looks like you will have to continue moving your hand to keep the watch going!"

Over the next 24 hours my friend has gained an extra 4 hours and burned up a kilo, at least, in an attempt to keep the watch going.  He decides that, at the risk of getting caught in the past and developing an unusually large left arm, to return the watch.  His resolve is further increased when the buckle and strap decide to path ways.

Locating the store owner we show him the result of 24 hours of usage and ask for our money back. Possession being nine tents of the law, the best we can do is to secure another watch in its place.  This time a simple electronic watch with a metal strap.

I am happy to state that my friend is no  longer in a time warp and that there is no possibility of an unbalanced development of the left bicep.


Comments

  1. Hilarious. I know this friend of yours so the images that popped in my mind brought on uncontrolled laughter. You should send/sell your story to the cousin (stand-up comedian). Then take this friend along to the first show and force him to laugh at himself. What are friends for.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose