Gracefully

I have made up my mind! Without a doubt! I will grow old gracefully and accept that which comes with age.  Like the realisation, when one day you sit in a restaurant and cannot see the ingredients on the menu, that it is time to get a set of reading glasses.

I can clearly recall the first time that happened to me.  After trying to focus on the ingredients list for several minutes by constantly trying to telescope the menu, moving it closer and then finally extending it to arms length, without any success that it would be better to get a set of glasses or suffer the suspense of ordering a dish and having a complete look of shock and surprise what it arrived if it contained an ingredient that was inedible.  It would be like having chef's surprise at every restaurant meal! Rather than put my ageing heart through that kind of stress I decided to swallow my youthful pride and get a pair of glasses.  Not just any pair though, something that would be elegant and yet youthful. I settled for a pair of John Lennon look a likes with a modern flair to appease my dented youthful pride.

While others may try to create a youthful appearance by rushing off and dyeing every strand of grey hair back to its natural youthful colour and try to maintain their youth, I have decided to retain my natural my greying hair which has slowly turned a distinguished shade of salt and pepper. Another one to appease my youthful pride.

While my memory has held out well I must admit that when I do misplace my keys, I do make a good job of it. But I must admit its not only keys, being an avid collector of movies I have also on occasion bought a number of copies of movies that I had forgotten I already own.  Being an IT person I have always explained this away as my "backup" copy.

Other things that I have noticed it is becoming more and more difficult to stay in hotels, not because of the service or for that matter the food but something rather more basic.  The bed and position of he bed.  I read once somewhere, a very long time ago, that men usually prefer to sleep closest to the door.  I inevitably find that the door always seems to be on the wrong side of the bed which means that in most hotel rooms, at least the ones I have been getting, I have to sleep on the side I least favour to accomplish this feat.

And thats the other thing, it becomes more and more difficult to sleep in a foreign bed, with the wrong pillows and a bed that is not placed optimally to meet the requirements of being able to sleep on your favoured side close to the door.  And this is rather irritating at times.

I have also noticed that tastebuds mature with age and nosh that, in your youth you would find not only acceptable but also tasty, becomes intolerable and seems like, with every passing year, to be closer to eating cardboard than a meal.  Fast food places seem to loose their appeal and chain food restaurants and steakhouses, which once were considered an acceptable substitute for a real meal, have been relegated to the ranks of fast food.

Even with all these changes that slowly creep on you one thing that does not is the appreciation of a good looking member of the opposite sex.  Somehow this is the only thing that seems to increase with age.  Now whether it is because it allows you to feel young again or if it is merely the nature of man that, a member of the opposite sex, would always remain somewhat attractive to him, I don't care.  I am just happy that it is so.....and who knows? ;-)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose