Heritage

It always fascinated me how people who have immigrated tend to gather together, in there country of immigration, to talk about the home that they have left behind.  This to seemingly justify, or rather, quell the doubts that they have or the reasons for them taking the big step.

"It's the crime", as someone recalls a horrifying experience that had occurred to them or someone close to them.
"It's the political situation", a second backs up the argument as they explore the corruption of man in politics.  And so it goes on and on each argument laying to rest the doubt that exists and the questions that go unanswered.

I am a South African of Indian origin, yes my ancestors made there way here many years ago, and while I retain many traditions of my Indian origins I am wholly South African.  I have travelled far and wide, to most countries in the western world and to a few on the eastern side, and I must admit, if I am honest, that South Africa is one of the best places to live.

Even with its problems, the high crime rate, the corruption that seems abound in the political arena, the neglect that seems to follow the growth of informal settlements and the seemingly high cost of living, does not weigh up against the quality of life that is possible.  In reality, compared to the western countries, where, in most cases, democracy, in whichever form or shape, has had a chance to bed itself down and overcome the problems that a young fledgling that ours is, is facing, we are relatively well off.  As human beings, in a modern world where we are surrounded by news that is more often than not negative and seems to affect the way we think, we often forget to count our blessings.

However let us put it in perspective, we have a heritage of misery and pain, from the apartheid years and it takes time to heal wounds that have touched so many so deeply.  This should be a profound lesson to us all. So it al boils down to one thing, what do we choose?

For me South Africa has been kind, it has given me a place to stay a place to call home.  It has deeply wounded me with its policies of the past. I too have been touched by crime and I too have suffered some of its injustices. But if I have to be true to myself, which lover of mine has not.

So in spite of all this, I choose to stay.  So that my children and the children of our nation can have hope that at least, in my small little way, I can contribute to the heritage that we call South Africa. ;-) 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose