The Hajj - A Journey in Parts - Departure

On arrival at the airport, we find that we have not taken enough passport photos for the entry VISA's required.  At a photo booth in the departure lounge we take photos and bid our last goodbyes to the family that has come to see us off.  We check in our luggage and step through to the security and passport control areas.

We are greeted by hundreds of other fortunates.  I establish that the flight we have been booked on has been delayed yet again and in fact some had been at the airport since Thursday, it is Sunday, waiting to depart.  It would seem that the plane has had a number of problems which necessitated grounding.  We are assured that the plane will depart at 10pm, it is now 7pm.

I lay claim to an area near the boarding gate and spread my saal on the floor and we sit patiently waiting to board the plane.  The plan is that we fly to Egypt with a four hour lay over before making our way to Jeddah.  Plans have changed, due to the delay, we will fly to Luxor,   refuel and immediately depart for Jeddah.  We will not leave the plane.  This means it would be better to don our Ihraam, garb of a pilgrim, before boarding.  I find a bathroom and change into my Ihraam and proceed and make the two units of prayer and supplication to complete the ritual.  I am now in the state of "Ihraam".

To some this state is one of extreme inconvenience, I find it exhilarating.  While in Ihraam you cannot wear perfume, wear stitched clothes, cover the face, cut nails or hair, become intimate with your wife or kill insects or animals unless they pose a threat to life. This restriction seems to have an opposite effect on me, I feel free and I supplicate:

"Oh my Lord, You know what is in my heart and You know what is best for me so grant me all that is good and best for me in this world and in the hereafter".

Eventually we board the plane and after an uneventful flight reach Luxor.  Through the window we see the Pyramids of Giza as we circle around the airport waiting to land.  The plane touches down is refuelled and an hour later we are on our way to Jeddah.

The Pilot announces that we are about to cross the Boundary and any who have not yet dawned their Ihraams should do so now.  The last few scramble to complete the ritual and at last we start our decent.  We land and the plane taxi's along the runway coming to a stop before the Hajj Terminal.  We have arrived... :-)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose