Socially......

Sometimes I seem, even to myself, over bearing.  It was not always like this, and I can remember a time when I was fairly detached from people and preferred the company of my computer.

I recent months all that changed.  As I discover more and more about myself, I find that I am quite sympathetic and empathetic and I have discovered the joys of being with people.  One thing that saddens me at times, is that I never developed social skills to the level I would have liked too.  These skills are normally developed early in youth and shaped through the teenage years.  Being an Indian, and born into a family that had a business, I was denied the chance to interact socially in my teens.  So while my friends were busy being teenagers, building friendships and developing vital social skills,  I was standing behind a shop counter with little or no social stimulation besides having to deal with odd irate customer.

So I find myself in the odd and often curious situation of becoming socially savvy at this late stage in my life.  And I seem to be doing pretty well, however at times I do put my foot in it or even worse open my mouth for the purpose of changing feet.  I find that I can also be quite blunt, especially when dealing with those who don't seem to listen, even though they say they do.

Where the problem really comes in, is where others are going through a situation that I understand and can fully empathize with or where someone is going through something similar that I have experienced.  This is when I seem to go over the top.  I seem to offer my help and comfort to try and help them through to the point of being overbearing.  A trait that has often been my undoing.

When it comes to the fairer sex, and yes I am a complete softy when it comes to them, I can come across as overbearing even if though my intentions are of concern.  So to avoid the situation, I often try to keep my distance.  Does it work, I don't know, but none have complained and I can only think that either they have given up on my friendship or think that I have given up on theirs.


One thing I can attest to is that I have not met so many people as I have met since my awakening.  I find it easier to chat to people and to share myself with them.  I am on a journey and learning every day. Will I make mistakes, I am sure I will.

So if you find yourself in my company, opening my mouth to change feet, or being blunt, or being overbearing,  be kind and lead the way, remember I may not be socially savvy, but I do have a sense of humor :-)

Comments

  1. you are not overbearing and you are the best friend anyone can be blessed with. you are the only person i know who can tell me to go to hell and i enjoy the trip....lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. depends what you classify as over-bearing.
    Blunt? Maybe you are - but doubt it is intentional. It may seem to you that people dont listen to you, maybe they do?. Regarding the fairer sex, if you make your feelings clear that you want them to stay clear, they will... People dont give up on friendships if the one party is 'over-bearing', they give up only if one half makes it clear the friendship is over, or if they dont agree on moral issues :-) I rather have one over-bearing friend than 15 hangers on. And an over-bearing friend will have your best interests at heart...So my advise Mo? don't change, stay as you are (a-la Bridget Jones)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must add to my comments on June 23... Yes Mo, you Do have a sense of humour ;-) In fact you have a naughty streak, it reminds me of a little boy..dont ever change

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose