Adapt Cook...

It has been a long time since I cooked seriously.  Not to say I have not cooked the odd meal here or there, but I was finding it quite difficult to cook for just one person.  In the last few weeks I have been watching Master Chef Australia, especially the master class segments they have once a week, and I have been inspired to cook again.

But maybe inspiration is not quite the right word.  For the last few months I have been indulging in a bit of fast food.  I even got to the point, scary thought, where I could tell who made my fried chicken, or  who assembled my burger at the big M.  Well almost.  Like with all cooks and or chefs there are good ones and not so good ones, and in the fast food industry there are good chicken fryers and burger assemblers, and not so good ones. Well I can identify a good one from a bad one.

So, to fess up, I am tired of the distinct taste of flavoured cardboard and greasy chicken. So I decided to dawn my apron and cook up a storm in quite the figurative sense.  You see, eating all this fast food has made me a "spur of the moment" kinda cook, if I may take the liberty of calling myself a cook,  and I only think about what I would like to eat at eating time.  So attempting to plan a meal just does not quite work for me.  With the result I have often found myself short of some vital ingredient or even better faced with a solid rock of meat from the freezer. 

In an attempt to cover for my shortcomings, I have often substituted or just left out an ingredient from a meal or worse still in all my excitement forgot to season the meal.  Nothing tastes good if you have to season it before sticking it in your mouth.  So all this experimenting with cooking and trying out of new tastes, quite involuntary I may add, has had a significant impact on my perception of how good a cook I am, and at the risk of sounding conceited and if I am really honest, I am not a bad cook at all.  Especially when it comes to my speciality, eggs.

Because of my lack of planning for meals, I have often found myself cooking that most versatile of meals the humble egg.  The many ways it can be prepared, sunny side up, over easy, omelette, French toast and not to mention, something I have become quite adapt at cooking, scrambled eggs on toast ;-)

 


     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose