Life....

I have always considered my life to be quite ordinary and, well to put it bluntly, quite boring.  That was until I took a closer look and discovered, if anything else, it has been rather quite eventful if not exciting.  In these forty odd years, more closer to fifty than I would like to imagine, I have done many things and like an obsessive collector, I cannot seem to get enough.  Even though, looking through a critical eye, I cannot claim it was all good, and dare I say not all bad either.

The thing about the life experiences, as I call them, is that it is often the least profound moments that have the most effect on us.  Like the Buddha sitting under a Peepal tree, contemplating life, a seemingly mediocre event, that turned out to be so profound that it changed the life of billions to this day.

While on Haj(pilgrimage), after the evening prayer, the punishing heat rising from the ground while throngs make their way to grab a bite to eat or a refreshing drink before continuing with the rituals that would, hopefully, propel them into spiritual enlightenment.  Standing on the sidewalk and watching the face of humanity as the horde, from every corner of the world, walk past.  Groups, and individuals alike, reflecting their uniqueness in their dress and stride. And alone, squatting on the sidewalk Coke in hand, an Afghan, with a look of total joy and gratitude at being able to savour the ice cold drink to quench his thirst  and I am in awe at the sight. Find the beauty, joy and gratitude in the little things in life because life is a collection of a lot of little things with a few big ones thrown in for good measure.

"Hello daddy", calls my little one excitedly running to my arms when I pick him up for the weekend.  His eyes filled with love and joy as his arms fold around my neck while I strap him in his seat.  Undemanding, unassuming and unconditional.  Be undemanding, unassuming and unconditional in your love and it will be returned in full measure.

All my little one wants is to spend a bit of time with me.  Time, that most precious of gifts that once given can never be replaced, use it wisely.

The pain of divorce.  Too many things that have happened, too many things that have been said, too many things that have been broken and too many scars that have been opened and left to bleed.  But this and other events such as these are a part the journey that we call life and bear it we must.  And as the Scripture says, "...no soul shall bear a burden greater than it can bear...".  Pray, for fate is inevitable, and prayer creates hope and hope is the light that guides you through the maze of darkness to light.

And last but not least what everything leads to, well for me at least, Belief! Belief that there is a power that encompasses all, the entire universe in all its infinity, a Power that Creates, that Guides, that Hears, that Sees and that is completely Benevolent and Merciful.  Find solace in your belief and it will bring peace to your heart, fill it with gratitude and through it you will find humility.

May your life's journey be filled with all that is good for you so that you too can look back with gratitude at a life already lived.  Go forth in peace ;-)



  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose