A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

I am happy and sad at the same time.  Happy, because I had strengthened the bond that binds us and sad because I had had to leave home for the next stage of my journey, and it is never easy to take leave from the love and warmth of home, but go I must.

Back on the paved road I head towards Springbok and after refueling the car, on towards Cape Town.  The road winding its way through the mountains.  Kamieskroon, Garies, Verhynsdorp, Klawer, Clan William, Citrusdal, Piketberg and Moorreesburg, towns seemingly forgotten along the way, before the familiar Malmesbury and Cape Town. A distance of some six hundred kilometres.

Mouille Point, Cape Town.  A fresh wind blows across the parking lot.  The smell of the ocean assaults my senses.  The apartment is modern and tastefully furnished but it is the balcony which becomes my haven.  An early morning cup of coffee overlooking the most stunning of beach fronts is very hard to beat.

A trip to Franschoek with its quaint streets and famous restaurants. A brunch of tapas style French influenced bites.  Fish lollies, prawns, oven grilled olives, mini pizza and coke on the rocks. Some fig preserve to enjoy with some mouldy cheese and decadently sweet Turkish delights. A walk around the quaint shopping area and a chefs tunic from Rubens, home of that famous South African chef.

On the last day of my stay, off to Hout Bay for some snoek and chips.  Snoek head, a meal for the connoisseur, delicate and very very tasty.  Down to the Cape Quarter for a lightning tour and later a meal at Beluga, a bit disappointing I must admit. But never the less a fitting couple of days with the best company around. 

I sure will miss the brisk walks along the beach in the early morning sun. The smell of the ocean and the beautiful people that accompany us on our walks.  But most of all I miss my friends and the joy of their company ;-) 

Comments

  1. I can picture the whole trip, Cape Town, Hout Bay...would love to visit Rubens...awesome memories made....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Snoek head? you have got to be kidding!

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes snoek head....awesome you should try it...be adventuress....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Been there done that. I'm from Cape Town remember. There's some things that just doesn't and shouldn't go down.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

The Rose