The Hajj - A Journey in Parts - Hajj

I tried to think of the individual days of Hajj and what I experienced through those days, but all I can pick out were specific events while the rest of the experience escapes me.  For example I remember walking to the tent city of Mina, but I cannot remember what time I donned my Ihraam. 

Day 1, entering the tent city of Mina my heart is filled with joy. I have reached the first stage of the journey.  The census states that there are two million pilgrims who are participating in the ritual of Hajj, and for the first time I get the real feel for what it means to be part of this multitude.  A sea of white, moving relentlessly towards its goal, my existence pales into insignificance and I am humbled.  It is the day of rest and I have made the journey on foot.  I locate the camp and tent the group has been assigned to and taking up a foam mattress I lie down.  I spend the day resting, supplicating, praying anxiously waiting for the dawn of the Day of Mercy.

Day 2, we have to make our way to the plains of Arafaat by 12:00pm.  The roads are clogged with busses lining the roads only inches apart.  I have decided to catch a bus instead of walking.  Eventually, when the bus arrives, we make our way to Arafaat by way of an unofficial route and within an hour we have reached our destination.  I take my place in the shaded tent and begin my supplications and prayer.  At 12:00pm, I step into the sun, in the tradition of the Prophet (P.B.U.H), face the Holy mosque at Mecca and turning my head to the sky, I pray.  I know not the words that I prayed, I only remember this feeling of unburdening my soul that overcame me.  This continues to sunset, between the obligatory prayers, a personal dialog with the Almighty.

 After sunset we make our way to Muzdalifa, on foot, a journey of some six kilometers.  Some hours later, we reach the outskirts and spread across the plains a sea of white. Those who have come before us.  We pray the early evening and late evening prayer together and search for a place to lay down. Before sleeping we collect pebbles which we will use to symbolically pelt the devil, as Abraham did when he was tempted to sway from the path of sacrificing his son, before sleep.  Tomorrow we have a big day ahead of us.

Day 3, The Day of Work.  After a short sleep, we are completely refreshed.  We perform the early morning prayer and continue on our way back to Minna.  Walking with the multitude is slow and tiring and eventually just before midday we make our way to the tent.  At 2:00pm, we make our way to the Jamaraat, the area for the symbolic pelting.  The crowds are thick and slowly we make our way to the front. We cast our seven pebbles and make our way back to camp.  I await the ritual sacrifice of an animal on my behalf, so I can shave my head head and remove my Ihraam.  After sunset, I am notified that the animal has been sacrificed and I make my way back to Mecca.  On arrival I shave my head, remove my Ihraam shower and make my way to the Holy Mosque.  I circumambulate the Kaabah completing the ritual just before the early morning prayer.  After the prayer I make my way back to the room.  I am exhausted, physically, mentally, spiritually, completely.  I lay down on the bed.

Day 4 and 5, I awaken at 15h00.  I have been asleep for 8 hours i am refreshed.  I shower, dress and perform my obligatory prayer.  I board a bus to get back to Mina, a journey that everyone seems to be taking.  After inching along for an hour or more, we take foot and head to the tents.  Then gathering our pebbles, we make our way to the Jamaraat for the symbolic pelting, and back to the tents to rest.  The next day between the sleep and the obligatory prayers we go for the symbolic pelting for the last time. Tomorrow we make our way back to Mecca.  We have completed the Hajj. 

For an instance, just an instance, the veil was lifted and the illusion disappeared imprinting its image on my consciousness. I am changed and yet the same, for ever more .... :-)  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose