The Hajj - A Journey in Parts - Makkah

Makkah, more commonly known as Mecca, birthplace of the Holy Prophet Muhammad (Peace Be Upon Him), city of the holy mosque and nestled in it's centre the Holy Kaba, house of God Almighty on the face of the earth. Built by Abraham(Ebrahim) and his son Ishmael (Ismail) under instruction from the Almighty. I am here.

At the hotel we book into our rooms and rest a bit.  I have been awake for 24 hours now. After settling and resting a bit we gather downstairs with a group of earlier arrivals who take us on our first Umra (mini pilgrimage).

Around the corner from the hotel we enter into Khalid bin Walid street. Walking in a group chanting the talbiyah. The air is electric. I become more and more anxious with each step. Finally we reach the white marble which surrounds the mosque, walk up to the nearest door and remove our shoes.  We enter the mosque and are told to look down.  Our guide takes us to the edge of the Mataaf, the inner area of marble that surrounds the Kaabah. Once in position we are instructed to lift our gaze.

My heart stands still and I cannot breath. That which I had turned towards and to which I had prostrated myself towards in submission to the Almighty stands before me. The Kaabah in all its magnificence covered in a black cloak with gold lettering announcing the oneness of God. I am in awe.  The world around me, my bodily functions, nay time, has come to a standstill.  Jaw agape all emotion reaching a crescendo unable to move or think or do anything, oblivion. A voice prompts pray, and like an automation eyes tearing I raise my hands and pray, unaware of the stream of words that pour out of my being.

When consciousness return I see the group stepping to the starting point of  circumambulation(tawaaf) and after making the intention we begin the ritual. Seven circumambulations, in an anti-clockwise direction, around the Kaabah.  Every step lightens my burden, every circumambulation increases my gratitude.

Then behind the station of Abraham(Ebrahim) I offer two units of prayer and express my gratitude and pray:

"Oh my Lord, you know what is in my heart and what is good for me, so grant me that which is good for me and make me pleased with it now and in the hereafter."

I move to do the Sai, a ritual that involves walking between Safa and Marwa, where men jog between the designated area, if possible, to commemorate the search for water by Ishmael's (Ismail) mother. On completion of the ritual, off to drink from the well of Zam Zam, that sprung up when Ishmael scraped the ground with his heel.  And finally to shave my head marking the end of the Umra.  I am ready to take off my ihraam, pilgrims garb, however it has been a long night and it is time for the early morning prayer before sunrise.

While waiting for the morning prayer to start, I contemplate the life that I have lived and realise I will never be the same .... :-)

Comments

  1. Thanks so much for sharing this, your gift of painting picures with your words is remarkable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose