Looking back...

Looking back in time I cannot believe that three years have passed since I started this blog.  In these three years I have managed to post one hundred and fifteen posts on this humble blog and while statistically that is 30 posts per year the reality is that I was most proficient the first few months.  

Today I chanced a look at past posts and I realised the breadth and even the depth of the posts changed over time.  It would seem that instead of getting down to the meat of things the blogs changed and became rather more shallow with time. I also noted, that while I get immense joy out of writing, I had not dedicated myself to the task and with the result have not given it my all and, if I dare, am poorer for it.

I guess the passing of Madiba has had a more profound effect on me than I would have ever anticipated or imagined.  And while so many had visited his home, or attended the memorial services or even formed the guard of honor as his remains were transported to the Union Buildings, I sat here, not listening to the news nor having any desire to attend or be part of these proceedings. 

Instead I sat most days in silent contemplation, reflecting on the effect that he had on my life as an individual and reciting a silent prayer in memory of Madiba and while I am greatly saddened by his departure I am immensely grateful that the Almighty, in all His wisdom, had blessed us with Madiba to take us through the most trying times.  A time when everything was on a knife edge, when the possibility of civil war was a reality and through Madiba's efforts and the Grace and Mercy of the Almighty we went through a transition instead.

Madiba's ability to forgive and embrace those very people who had committed atrocities against him and subjected him to the unjust laws of the country at the time became an inspiration to us to bury our differences and to start the process of rebuilding the nation.  It is this and the short time that he spent leading the country that he showed us, through his example, what it was possible for all South Africans to achieve.   

For me, and many others like me, who had grown up during the height of the Apartheid era, to be presented with a society in which all the restrictions were removed.  Where our children could grow up and reach the pinnacle of their ability without the restrictions that plagued us in our youth.  Suddenly the world that had distanced itself from us, wanted to be a part of our journey so much so that we, who had been sanctioned by every major sporting body in the world, became the host nation for the Cricket, Rugby and Soccer World Cups.  A privilege few nations have been blessed with.  But by far the greatest gift of all is that we are allowed to practice our belief systems without prejudice or restriction.  

Madiba, I thank thee and I am grateful to thee for leading us away from the darkness into the light. I thank thee for your leadership through those most trying times, when it seemed as though we were on the brink, the results of which have touched each and every South African and will continue to do for all time.  

From one whose life has been touched by yours, thank you Madiba.

Sala kakuhle TATA!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Surprise...

A Friend Indeed - The Second Leg

The Rose